Monday, February 25, 2008

Ella's Tale

So it's my first week home alone with Gracie, so far it's been relatively uneventful -- other than a diaper blowout which required a change of clothes. While she spent some time in her bouncy chair, most of it has either been napping in her crib or on my lap.

Speaking of laps, Ella's longing for the lap time she once had. That said, she's been amazingly tolerant with Gracie. Even when Grace shrieks during a meltdown, Ella is calm and looks at us as if to ask "Are you going to do something about that?"

Ella's coped by finding new spots to hang out in. You've already seen her stake her claim to the baby papasan chair. She's also found out how to be close to me in the nursing chair (see photo), where I spend the majority of my time.

We're thinking Ella will grow to appreciate Grace more once she's in a high chair and is able to flail food down to her. Right now each morning she comes upstairs looking for the baby. I think she still thinks Gracie's presence is a temporary thing.

Even so, Ella also plays the role of guardian which means she needs to be where Gracie is at all times. She'll follow us from room to room, inspecting the swing, checking out the playmat, and helping me stay sane through one of Grace's inconsolable times. This photo shows just how exausting her job is. So pitiful.

No comments: